Inaugural Awards Dinner
October 28 2013 - Washington, DC
America Abroad Media (AAM) hosted its Inaugural Awards Dinner at the Andrew W. Mellon Auditorium in Washington, DC, honoring outstanding leaders in television and film – KATHRYN BIGELOW, AAMIR KHAN, and the INTERNATIONAL CENTER ON NONVIOLENT CONFLICT (ICNC) – whose work exemplifies the power of media to inform, educate and empower citizens about the critical social and public policy issues of our time.
KATHRYN BIGELOW is the director of Zero Dark Thirty and The Hurt Locker, which have received widespread acclaim for their honest portrayal of war and counterterrorism. In 2010, Ms. Bigelow became the first and only woman to date to win the Academy Award for Best Director. Full bio here.
AAMIR KHAN is one of India’s most famous Bollywood stars. His new TV series, Satyamev Jayate, explores India’s biggest social challenges and has been seen by hundreds of millions of people in his country and across Asia. Mr. Khan was recently selected as one of TIME Magazine’s 100 most influential people. Full bio here.
THE INTERNATIONAL CENTER ON NONVIOLENT CONFLICT (ICNC)
Founded by Peter Ackerman, the ICNC produces award-winning documentaries on the role of non-violent resistance in promoting democratic change. The ICNC - which was nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize in 2013 - will release a new documentary on the Arab Spring and uprising in Egypt later this year. Full bio here.
ANN HORNADAY is a Film Critic for The Washington Post. She has worked for Ms. Magazine, The New York Times Arts & Leisure section and The Baltimore Sun. She joined The Washington Post in 2002 and was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize in criticism in 2008.
Full bio here.
- General Michael Hayden
- Ambassador Nirupama Rao, India
- John Whitehead
- The Honorable Douglas B. Wilson
- Madeleine Albright
- Graham Allison
- Norman Augustine
- Charlene Barshefsky
- Nicholas Burns
- Michael Chertoff
- Lester Crown
- Paula Dobriansky
- William Draper III
- Kenneth Duberstein
- Jim Glassman
- Lee Hamilton
- Zalmay Khalilzad
- Thomas McLarty
- Thomas Pickering
- Margot Pritzker
- Timothy Roemer
- Dennis Ross
- Brent Scowcroft
- Vin Weber
- Judy Woodruff
- Juan Zarate
- H. E. Ambassador Ahmad Eklil Hakimi, Afghanistan
- H. E. Ambassador Houda Ezra Nonoo, Bahrain
- H. E. Ambassador Mohamed M. Tawfik, Egypt
- H. E. Ambassador Ritva Koukku-Ronde, Finland
- H. E. Ambassador François Delattre, France
- H. E. Ambassador Lukman Faily, Iraq
- H. E. Ambassador Kenichiro Sasae, Japan
- H. E. Ambassador Rachad Bouhlal, Morocco
- H. E. Ambassador Rudolf Simon Bekink, The Netherlands
- H. E. Ambassador Ashok Kumar Mirpuri, Singapore
- H. E. Ambassador Namik Tan, Turkey
- H. E. Ambassador Yousef Al Otaiba, The United Arab Emirates
- H. E. Ambassador Sir Peter Westamacott, The United Kingdom
- H. E. Acting Ambassador Adel Alsunaini, Yemen